Together, our team helps spring the potential of NYC nonprofits into the progress of young people. Be part of the movement helping the youth soar.
NYC is home to some of the best and brightest youth in the world, but too much of their potential remains unrealized. There are over 1,500 organizations helping youth in New York, and Youth INC identifies those that want to deepen their impact and build the strong and sustainable organizations required to help young people thrive.
We help our nonprofit partners build their capacity in critical areas, including: improving fundraising and governance practices, leadership development, building boards, strategic planning, marketing and funding critical elements of infrastructure. We serve as the bridge for bringing academic insight and evidence-based best practices with talent and resources from the corporate sector to provide our nonprofit partners with the tools to thrive. Our double bottom line is that thriving organizations help young people thrive! We currently partner with 75+ youth development organizations that work with over 200,000 NYC youth each year.
We believe our team is the heart and soul of our 25+ year old organization. Our team is a diverse group of fun, engaging, savvy people who care deeply about making the world a more just and equitable place. Our work place culture is dynamic, entrepreneurial, supportive and collaborative. We value work-life balance and welcome ideas and suggestions from everyone about how to improve and grow our organization. Above all, we are mission-driven. You will enjoy a welcoming environment, ample professional-development opportunities, and great benefits like excellent health care and a generous 401(k) match.
We also take a genuine interest in the career paths of our team. We take pride in developing and advancing our people, which is demonstrated by 70% of our staff partners having been promoted within the last 24 months.
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
About the Position:
Youth INC’s 75+ nonprofit partners evolve and adapt quickly to meet their communities’ needs. As our nonprofit partners grow, their strategy, structure and processes must also adapt to meet the next opportunity and challenge. It’s important for our organizations to explore how they can best generate impactful strategy, maintain strong and inclusive teams, and build new financial processes.
Beginning in the fall of 2021, Youth INC will launch a new series of capacity-building work to provide our nonprofit partners with coaching, content, and training on strategy and operations management to help advance their learning, propel their growth, and deepen their community impact. This work will include leading our current cohort-based Agile Planning Lab, the development and launch of financial management and human resources supports, and research and design into high impact capacity-building.
We are seeking an exceptional leader and innovator to join our team as a senior leader on the Program team. The Director, Strategy and Operational Effectiveness will lead the creation, organization, implementation and evaluation of all Strategy and Operational Effectiveness capacity-building designed for nonprofit partners. They will uplift Youth INC’s commitment to holistic nonprofit capacity-building that is rooted in change management and organizational development principles. This position will report to the Chief Program Officer and hire a Program Associate to support this work in 2022 (projected). The role calls for a professional with a passion for organizational development, knowledge of nonprofit strategy and operations, as well as expert project management skills.
Head our Strategy & Operations Capacity-Building for Nonprofits
• Lead internal strategy and research to design new programming in operational effectiveness and strategy.
• Proactively source and integrate sector best practices into our work.
• Launch and manage new capacity-building programs and supports related to nonprofit organizational effectiveness and strategy
• Lead the delivery of each program and its activities in accordance with our mission, goals, and coaching approach
• Develop, implement, and monitor the goals, strategies, timelines and metrics for each program and initiative
• Develop annual budget for this area of work and ensure each program operates within approved budget
• Coach nonprofit leaders through our cohort-based Agile Planning Lab program o Update, review, and/or deliver tools and curriculum on strategic planning and operational effectiveness for nonprofits
• Partner collaboratively with subject matter experts to coordinate the delivery of workshops and trainings for nonprofit partners
• Create measurement and evaluation process and report on impact to senior leadership
• Generate and maintain communications with nonprofit partners through Mobilize Platform
• Manage nonprofit recruitment and retention efforts for Strategy & Operational Effectiveness work
Contribute to Program Team Operations and Leadership
• Maintain current, accurate records of nonprofit partners
• Prepare and present content and materials for workshops, seminars, meetings, and events for Youth INC’s Partner Network of 75+ organizations
• Assist with key aspects of Youth INC annual events, including board fair, nonprofit conference, and large-scale fundraising event, virtual and in-person when appropriate
Skills Utilized in this Role:
• Relationship Building – Youth INC builds partnerships with the most impactful youth- serving nonprofits in New York City, and knowledge of the local youth development and nonprofit landscape will be useful in understanding the needs of partner organizations, recruiting new partners, and maintaining positive relationships with existing partners.
• Project Management, Planning, and Organization – The number of organizations within Youth INC’s Partner Network is large and growing each year. This role requires an individual with excellent project management and organizational skills to manage the many different schedules and details of each nonprofit partner.
• Coaching - Ultimately, Youth INC’s Program Philosophy is centered around continuous improvement and a change management process. It is important to understand how individuals and groups get and stay motivated to make improvements, and how to properly support and encourage Partners to implement changes and achieve their desired goals.
• 10+ years professional experience in the nonprofit sector
• Demonstrated experience leading and/or facilitating strategic planning and nonprofit management
• Nonprofit coaching/consulting experience or ability, or comparable experience
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail and deadlines
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to form relationships with diverse groups of people
• Comfort with public speaking engagements ranging from large workshops to 1-on-1 coaching
• Strong listening skills and the ability to formulate and ask questions that move nonprofit leaders forward
• Capable of establishing and maintaining psychological safety for participants
• Capable of managing the tension between achieving the work to be done in the time allotted while meeting individuals and organizations where they are
• Self-starter who can manage multiple projects simultaneously
• While Youth INC is currently virtual, this role will require in person attendance at workshops and events in the future in New York City
• Salary Range: $90 - $100K annually and bonus eligible
• Generous health insurance coverage (medical, dental, vision)
• A minimum of 10 organizational holidays, 5 sick days and 22 PTO days per year. Upon your third anniversary, you receive an additional 5 PTO days
• Summer Fridays
• Unlike most nonprofits, Youth INC not only has a Retirement Savings Plan, but also automatically contributes 3% on your behalf each year, regardless of whether or not you make a contribution.
Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org your resume and a cover letter.Please put title of “Director, Strategy & Operational Effectiveness” in subject line.Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Youth INC will launch a new series of capacity-building work to provide our nonprofit partners with coaching, content, and training on strategy and operations management to help advance their learning, propel their growth, and deepen their community impact. This work will include leading our current cohort-based Agile Planning Lab, the development and launch of financial management and human resources supports, and research and design into high impact capacity-building. We are seeking an exceptional leader and innovator to join our team as Director, Strategy and Operational Effectiveness. Learn more
About the Position:
The Development Assistant role will encompass both administrative and strategic responsibilities for the Development team.The Development Assistant will play an important part in helping Youth INC improve existing processes and expand into new territory. This role supports the Development Team’s fundraising and event activities including data entry, event logistics, gift processing, prospect research, drafting correspondence, meeting minutes and general administrative support.
This position is NYC-based and is expected to be in-person a majority of the week when we return to an office setting after Labor Day.
Calendar Management Stewardship (40%)
• Coordinate meetings, events and phone calls with Board Members, sponsors, donors, new business relationships and other stakeholders to support Development Team members as requested
• Support team in internal and external meetings by prepping materials and packages, and typically attending those meetings and taking notes
• Maintain correspondence with donors and appropriate financial personnel; ensure donors receive proper acknowledgement, recognition, and stewardship; manage progress reporting; maintain timely, accurate, and complete records in Salesforce, including call, meeting, and donor notes
• Support board members and subcommittee work as requested; Utilize the Boardvantage platform for organizing and sharing materials
Event Planning & Production (35%)
• Assist in event-related responsibilities in the lead up and during events, including sending invitations, tracking RSVPs, fulfillment of sponsor benefits, coordinating materials, researching venues and working with vendors, as well as attending events to manage on-site logistics
• Contribute to Youth INC’s ongoing corporate engagement efforts by attending off-site partner events, in some cases independently, and acting as a representative of the organization
Prospect Research & Database Management (25%)
• Identify and research new donors, including corporate and foundation funding partners, individuals, and major gift prospects; work with staff, board members, and selected individuals to ensure coordinated and effective solicitation; prepare written donor proposals; provide information to the Executive Director, Chief Development & Marketing Officer and Directors of Development needed to pitch to prospective donors
• Collaborate with Marketing & Communication team to implement and improve infrastructure solutions for managing funders and prospects at scale
• Maintain organized folders on the shared network drive
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in business operations or development required
• 1-2 years of applicable experience, which may include experience in the nonprofit development, corporate sales or account management sectors
• Experience using prospect research tools such as Relationship Science, iWave, RelPro, etc. a plus
• Proficiency with basic Salesforce or CRM administration and comfort utilizing on a daily basis
• Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners, and donors
• Exercises discretion and common sense in handling confidential information
• Strong sense of accountability to deadlines
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Self-starter who can manage multiple tasks simultaneously and take a proactive approach to problem identification/resolution
• Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Highly resourceful team player, with the ability to also be effective working independently
• Embrace challenges and adopt new responsibilities with creativity, initiative, and self-direction
• Demonstrate flexibility when adjusting work to address evolving priorities and competing demands in a dynamic work environment
• Collaborate with in-person and remote team members
• Knowledge of New York financial sector a plus
• Salary Range: $45,000-$55,000, depending on experience. This is currently an hourly position, with overtime (at time and a half) during peak seasons. We also take a genuine interest in the career paths of our team. We take pride in developing and advancing our people, which is demonstrated by 70% of our staff partners having been promoted within the last 24 months. This position is eligible for promotion to a salaried position in Dec 2022/Jan 2023 during our annual promotion period
• This position is bonus eligible in 2022 (at either the salaried or hourly status)
• Generous health insurance coverage (medical, dental, vision)
• A minimum of 10 organizational holidays, 5 sick days and 22 Paid Time Off (PTO) days per year. Upon your third anniversary, you receive an additional 5 PTO days
• Summer Fridays
• Unlike most nonprofits, Youth INC not only has a Retirement Savings Plan, but also automatically contributes 3% on your behalf each year, regardless of whether you contribute
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include the title of "Development Assistant" in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Youth INC is seeking a Development Assistant to join our team as we deepen our capacity to raise critical funds and provide resources to support the most promising youth development nonprofit organizations in NYC. Learn more